Tuesday, June 06, 2006

sad

Today I read several blogs of people who I've had contact with in the past. I normally don't read their blogs because they have fallen to the extreames of the church or away from the church or are just down right depressing. I don't like how they make it a point to criticize the church so I don't read them. However, I made an exception today because I wanted to see (although I had a pretty good idea) their reaction to the Marriage Protection Act. The 2 blogs I read were indeed inflamatory against the church but instead of getting insenced by what they said it just made me sad. Sad, that these poor souls have lost their way. Sad that they don't see what is right anymore, and sad that I don't think I could have done much more to help them keep their testimonies. It's almost like I feel sorrow that I can't just give them the knowledge that I have. The knowledge that we are led by a prophet today who teaches truth. The knowledge that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is a true church, one that teaches true doctrine. The knowledge that if you put your life in accordance with the will of God you will be happy. It's interesting though, I know that the majority of the people that fight against this amendment are good people they just don't believe what I believe. That I feel that a marriage is between a man and a woman and should never change. But I understand that many people don't believe that. I am grateful that we live in this country where we have the right to express what we believe and fight for what we believe is right. In all of this I believe this ammendment to be right, I suppose I have to remember that the people who oppose this act also believe themselves to be right. I think many of us as members of the church forget that many of the people who have very differing views from us are not bad people, just people who don' t know the Truth. Elder M. Russell Ballard said "As members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we understand that we are perceived by some to be “a peculiar people” (1 Pet. 2:9). Our doctrines and beliefs are important to us. We embrace them and cherish them. I am not suggesting for a moment that we shouldn’t. On the contrary, our peculiarity and the uniqueness of the message of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ are indispensable elements in offering the people of the world a clear choice. Neither am I suggesting that we should associate in any relationship that would place us or our families at spiritual risk. We must understand, however, that not everyone is going to accept our doctrine of the Restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ. For the most part, our neighbors not of our faith are good, honorable people—every bit as good and honorable as we strive to be. They care about their families, just like we do. They want to make the world a better place, just like we do. They are kind and loving and generous and faithful, just like we seek to be. Nearly 25 years ago, the First Presidency declared: “Our message … is one of special love and concern for the eternal welfare of all men and women, regardless of religious belief, race, or nationality, knowing that we are truly brothers and sisters because we are sons and daughters of the same Eternal Father” (First Presidency statement, 15 Feb. 1978). I think because of other's lack of truth we as members of the church need to try harder to be not only bears of truth but examples of love and understanding as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home