Monday, May 22, 2006

I have a garden, I garden, I'm a gardner.

So at the earging from some friends and the final kick in the pants from Candide I have made a garden. Not a big one, actually it's kind of pidly but hey it's mine and as of right now nothing's died. Although I only give it a week to kill something. I actually reserve the right to have the whole garden go belly up. I usually can't keep plants alive (the main reason why I changed my major from horticulture) no matter how much I love them. Maybe it's because I love them too much. I limed the soil and incorporated some potting mix to loam up the bed nicely. Yep I was convinced it was going to be a great little garden.... That is until I decided to let my 2 toddlers help with the planting. 1. Megan does not like getting her hands dirty so she went from holding the transplant by the square of dirt on the bottom to the very top leaf with two fingers. 2. Spencer following Megan's lead had the entire plant sandwiched between his hands while he was rubbing his hands together almost as if he was trying to start fire with my poor pepper plant. 3. The next plant Spencer brought me didn't even have the soil attached to the roots. Yep just the poor little white roots exposed to the cruel world. 4. Megan being her ocd self couldn't put any more than 3 little seeds per hole. Where as Spencer decided that the seeds "fly" really well. Let's just say that I will have giant pumpkins, zuccinis and cantelope amoungst the tomatoes, peppers and basil. Who knows what will come up if anything but hey it was fun for a day. The kids love watering the garden so right now we have kind of a swamp thing going on but you try telling a naked 2 year old to stop spraying the water (he's naked because we are potty training, not because we are watering the garden although that's not a bad idea). Anyway I'm quite proud of myself but I figured it was worth it if I can get one plant to survive (my bet in on the basil right now... the kids didn't touch it although that's not saying much because I did.... hmmmm ) ps. 6 outfits, 9 briefs and 1 day down for potty training... who knows how may left to go. Tomorrow he's just going naked even before I reach the end of his available clothing. I don't think I can do that much laudry and survive the week.

3 Comments:

At 5/23/2006 04:49:00 PM, Blogger Montserrat said...

I remember Trudy (?) can't recall her last name potty training her boys like that in Miami. When summer came she'd let them run around naked and by fall they were good to go.

Good luck with the garden.

 
At 5/30/2006 11:27:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm I wrong, or is the title of this post a veiled reference to the movie "What about Bob?"

 
At 6/03/2006 06:42:00 PM, Blogger Vanessa and Rebecca said...

Maybe not so veiled. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home