Thursday, May 25, 2006

Boys harder than girls??!!!

So everyone kept telling me that potty training boys is WAY harder than girls. Ummmm says who?! Man if Megan was as easy as Spencer has been I wouldn't have been dreading this so much. So here's the scoop. E's parents decided that he needed to be potty trained. He is totally NOT ready for this big adventure we call peeing on a toilet. But then neither was Spencer. We are starting with E next week. Seeing as how Spencer is almost 6 months younger than E I decided to start a week earlier because I thought he'd need the extra time. Ummmm yeah no. So Monday came and as I stated in an earlier blog 9 sets of underwear and 6 outfits later he was naked for the next 1/2 of the day. Tuesday well we just kept him naked and he peed all over the house (you can imagine my dread mounting because he had absolutely NO interest in the potty and was NOT going to sit on it). Thinking that he was just not ready and me wanting to give up for the time being was foremost on my mind. However, knowing that I am going to start on Monday with E and already having his parents tell me that it might be a long couple of months trying to potty train him I figured I was going to have to do it anyway... the hard way vs. waiting till their ready... I might as well keep going. I am soooooo glad I did. Yesterday I decided to have Spencer sit on the portable potty everytime we did something sitting down (eating, play dough, puzzles, movies, painting) I also provided a multitude of special activities that we would do sitting down. He did excellent with that. Had only one accident yesterday and that was because I was stupid enough to put briefs on him. He thought he was wearing diapers for a moment. Today he woke up early because he needed to pee. Yep, I was still asleep so I forgot that I had to get him to a toilet (decided no pull-ups, they are just diapers that go on differently). Yep urine was trailed throughout the house while I lazily slept in bed (yes my kids wander around until we wake up what of it? They know where the toys are.) Well pine-sol and a naked little boy later he decided he needed to use the potty (I was busy mopping so I wasn't too concerned about things right then). Voila! He did it! After that I kept asking him throughout the day and he'd either say yep or not yet but he was consistant! And no accidents! Half way through the day he decided he was ready for briefs, so we got him dressed and waited for an accident that didn't come. He did great the whole day! I am so thrilled! I totally thought he was no where close to being ready. All I can say is AHHH THE POWER OF CHOCOLATE AS AN INCENTIVE!

6 Comments:

At 5/26/2006 11:34:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We've been working on training our little E3. The other day he found an old joke gift that I had received: a tiny toilet cum piggy bank that makes a flushing sound when you flush it. Next thing we know, he's sitting on this teeny, tiny toilet and D has to explain that that's just the play toilet.

On an unrelated note, I put up a new vocab quiz, check it out and let me know how you do.

 
At 5/27/2006 04:40:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi V. This is Jon (Max) (formerly of the Spanish and Portuguese houses) I've been reading you blog for a while now, so I thought it about time I chimed in. Chastity and I have been potty training our youngest during the last few months. She is doing really well, but still has an occasional accident.

We've used the remove-the-diapers-and-let-them-roam-naked-or-mostly-naked method with both our girls. Sure you get some urination in all kinds of places you wish they wouldn't, but overall it has been relatively fast and painless. Some of our friends have used pull-ups and their kids still haven't got it because they know they can always just go in that more-expensive diaper.

Anyway, congratulations and good luck as the process continues. I'll be following your adventures with interest just in case we ever have a boy.

 
At 5/27/2006 05:41:00 PM, Blogger Vanessa and Rebecca said...

Jon!!!!!!! Wow! Good to hear from you. You have two girls?! FUN STUFF! Yep the naked thing is the way to go. Actually the reason why we decided this was because my oldest, Megan is a stubborn little girl. She gives this aura of being the sweetest little thing, and she is but man if she doesn't want to do somethign she won't. We used to put the pull-ups on her just at night time. Daytime messes were ok by me (random places would be the definite word there) but night time messes did it in for me. Anyway she ended up holding her pee ALL DAY LONG in order to just wait for the pull ups. Umm yeah. We had to go naked or not at all with her. Fun.

 
At 5/28/2006 03:41:00 PM, Blogger andalucy said...

Congratulations! My boy was easier to train than by girls, too.

 
At 5/30/2006 11:24:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm impressed that Megan had that kind of self-control. If cultivated in the right way, that could be a great attribute in the future, though I know it is often difficult to deal with as parents when it is used to frustrate our best laid plans... ;)

(Off topic: My parents moved to Washington D.C. last fall-- my dad is working for the government. So if we get a chance to go out and visit them, perhaps we could stop by and say "hi" and meet your family.)

 
At 11/03/2020 06:09:00 AM, Blogger Mompush said...

I found one successful example of this truth through this blog. I am going to use such information now.
Twins Stroller

 

Post a Comment

<< Home