Friday, November 10, 2006

update

So Kevin is in his Surgical Specialites rotation now. This is, unlike general surgery (the last 6 weeks) where he gets assigned 3 different specialites to clerk in. His assignments, orthopedics, ent and neurology. When he tells people what he got they just look at him. Out of all the specialites these 3 are the ones that require the most work. You go babe! Yep the poor thing is exhausted. He's doing his orthopedics right now. He said the surgeries are incredibly physical (he held up a leg for 6 hours yesterday). He's tired and sore and the poor thing comes home and collapses only to have to get up and research the next day's surgeries. Average sleep time this wek 6 hours. The poor thing!!! That would be 16 hours out of the house and 2 hours of study time. Ugh. I've been trying to be a good wife and provide dinners for him when he gets home. On a different note did you know that certain face soaps will leach into your shirts (if you wear collared shirts like Kevin) and then when you wash the said shirt it will bleach out the collar so can't wear those said shirts anymore. Yeah that's what happened. I was stressed because nice shirts are expensive but hey, we've been saving for a tv and we took that money to buy him his shirts and his birthday present. Yes I broke. I got him a playstation 2. No tv but that's ok he has his clothes and his very long desired playstation. I did well on the game choices too. Fun stuff. Too bad he hasn't had a chance to play it yet. That's what the weekend was for. To hear him sit at the table and say "I'm exercising restraint." and look longingly at it was worth every penny. Also to see him ask if I asked about a certain game he likes and me to say "yes it's right there next to the playstation" have him look at me like I had given him the best surprise and then have him run into the other room to look at it. Yep I done good. Talking about doing good. I haven't seen Montse post anything so I'll let you guys know she and baby are doing good!

5 Comments:

At 11/10/2006 03:32:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm counting on you to take care of him and his hectic schedule! Nice job on the playstation! I had no idea how much he would love it. Would some new clothes help the situation?

 
At 11/10/2006 03:54:00 PM, Blogger hairyshoefairy said...

That's happened to NYDD's shirts! Unfortunately he prefers to wear them around still rather than go shopping for more. I think that will change when he starts his nicer clinicals in January, though. Up til now it's just been homeless clinics where he doesn't dress up.

Way to go on the PS2! What a good wifey you are! And dinner, too! I'm taking notes. :)

 
At 11/10/2006 07:27:00 PM, Blogger Chrissie said...

It always freaks me out a bit hearing about doctors getting next to no sleep and huge long shifts DOING SURGERY!!!!!! How do they stay focused?! (I have a friend who's nearly a Consultant General Surgeon...I don't know what the equiv. would be in the States...but it's pretty much top of the tree and he's nearly there).

 
At 11/10/2006 08:08:00 PM, Blogger Vanessa and Rebecca said...

Kevin said that while in surgery it's a time warp. They aren't tired or anything while in surgery it's afterward. Plus as far as training goes wouldn't you want a doctor who needs to do surgery for 12 hours can... who has the stamina. The only way they get that training is by doing it this way. If you need an important life saving surgery you don't want the doctor wondering if they are going to be able to last as long as necessary. The only way they gain that confidence is by experience.j Hey I have all confidence when Kev says that during surgery you don't notice time how tire you are.

 
At 11/11/2006 04:51:00 AM, Blogger Chrissie said...

Well that's good to know, and some good points raised there too :D

I guess the right people qualify as well, because I wouldn't have made it past the first hurdle. I'd be dribbling and ratty in the corner! LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home